Sunday, May 15, 2011

Windows, Windows, Windows

Many of my posts have focused on the interior of your home. After all, when it comes to design, people focus much more in the inside than the outside. Most houses are typically the same. Sure, a house might be built out of wood instead of brick or may be one story instead of two but for the most part, a very small minority are radically different. I thought I would use this post to talk a specific feature of a home often ignored---windows. Ah yes, windows. Many people love big, open windows even though they are a pain to clean. Usually homeowners are more concerned with whether or not the windows are older or newer and for good reason. But this time around, I'll focus on the different types of windows I have come across, whether they're good or bad.


Are you ready for this kind of living? Apparently Friedensreich Hundertwasser, a Viennese artist, designed this building that has---I'm not kidding---over 1,000 unique windows with individualized handles on them.


Interesting windows in a triangular building at Parc Diagonal Mar in Spain. I kind of dig them---they look pretty sleek and I think this type of window can be done well on the right building.


I have never really seen something like this before. Usually you will see your standard windows and then a skylight. Having both kinds of windows merge into one never really occurred to me, though I'm not sure that I love it here. I think this idea could be translated really well into newer houses that are not quite as modern as this one. I think it would look great if the windows transitioned with smooth lines.


And finally, this Nautilus House, crafted by Javier Senosiain. Now the windows aren't that different but the windows are all over the place, with many of them on the ceiling. And really, you don't see too many circular windows or windows that you can't really open in an entire house. The inside is quite interesting as well and I would love to visit one. I don't think I could live in the house---but let's pretend I became very wealthy and need a vacation home---I think this would be a great getaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment